justanotherrandomgirl

The Book Girl

It's simple. Books allow me to live in a their infinite world and escape my own for numbered hours, days, weeks. It's that simple.

The Joy Luck Club
Amy Tan
Spoiled
Heather Cocks, Jessica Morgan

Insurgent: Veronica Roth

Insurgent

Book Review

Insurgent is the sequel to Roth's Divergent and I have to say I didn't like it. I mean, I like it, but I didn't like it if you know what I mean. If you don't, I'll explain.

I'll tell you what I like:

1. It was an absolute page-turner and the events in the books really grasped my attention. Not that I promote violent in the community but I liked the violence that took place within the book's pages. Yes, there were protagonists that did fall one way or another but it was all for a reasonable cause.

2. The characters we met in Divergent were further explored and we got to know Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, etc. way more than what we read in the first book.

3. Some of the characters that were factionless are back for a number of reasons and they all form a society within it's own.

4. The attack simulations were unexpected.

5. Lastly, the events rolled smoothly without any 90 degree turns and shift (excluded deaths, etc.)

Now what I didn't like:

1. Tris and Four's relationship was all over the place and you never know when they're going to stop and just talk, there's a lot of violence that I did like but there were some scenes that were pointless.

2. A main character shoots a vital character. I mean, I was screaming to my friends about how much I wanted to shake some sense into the women who shot the other.

3. Tris annoyed me with her suicidal tendencies.

4. Some scenes were somewhat, pointless and some were over exaggerated.

5. The relationship between the Amity leader and Marcus Eaton was never explained. At the beginning they were chatting and Octavia leaned up to kiss Marcus on the cheek, but there connection was never explained.

Overall, I feel that Divergent had more stability and control. But I love them both and I can't wait to read Allegiant.

Love always,